Friday, October 12, 2007

The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler



This is our October Book Club book.

I must admit it was really hard for me to get into this book. It actually took until the banquet for me to care at all about these people. It seemed to jump into the midst of their lives and I didn't really care about them.

Then during the banquet when we actually heard many more details I really got to like them. I finally figured out who Bernadette was and loved her stories of her life and times - especially when I realized it was all just a story! I cared about Jocelyn and her need to control everything and her extreme discomfort when she couldn't control the car trip with Grigg. I cared that Sylvia was having such a hard time deciding what to wear to the first real outing where she would see her estranged husband and his new girlfriend. And I cared about the life and falls of Allegra her daughter.

Anyway - I wouldn't say this was a favorite of mine - and I probably wouldn't even recommend it - but I am glad I read it.

No comments: